Is There A 'Play Deprivation' In Your Life?


I believe that God is interested in our wellness. And not just our spiritual and emotional wellness. But, our physical wellness also. Years ago I read an article that challenged me to discipline my life in the areas of recreation and wellness. Out of that reading came commitments to nutrition, sleep, and exercise that changed how I looked at myself and my life performance.

Now, I am not advocating a narcissistic lifestyle. Nor do I believe that we must all become models of fit that requires more time than we would give to our spiritual lives. But, I am speaking of balance and respect for our bodies, the temple of the Lord. There are many reasons:

1. The daily performance than can come from wellness
2. The health and quality of life than can come from wellness
3. The reputation and respect from others that comes with wellness
4. The spiritual discipline that can come from wellness
5. The longevity of life than can come from wellness

We can talk about nutrition, rest, and exercise. Hitting the gym, or going for a walk, or buying a bike and getting exercise in various ways. Each of these are tremendous benefits to our physical health. And, ultimately, our spiritual and mental and social well-being. But, I want to speak about another wellness area. PLAY!

Read this post today and be encouraged. You are being asked to play more than you are!

Play has more to do with wellness than we think. We have seen a lack of play growing in our culture here in the west. A play deprivation can be the cause of many things. It could be that we are too busy or that we are too lazy. And there are serious signs to a lack of play (anger, loss of creativity, loss of confidence, health issues, exploration, and even social awkwardness). Thinking about these things should stir your interest in play activities, and, in turn, result in greater mental and physical health. The article I read stated that one of the common characteristics of serial killers was a lack of play in their early lives.

Here is a 'Play Deprivation' test:
When is the last time you played with an object? (ball, squeeze toy, or other object)

How do you relieve tension or stress from your life?

What is the last memory, conversation, or circumstance that caused you to laugh out of control?

Give an answer to the following questions by stating ‘DAILY’, ‘WEEKLY’, or ‘MONTHLY’:

How often do you run?
How often do you jump?
How often do you laugh?
How often do you make up a game in your mind?

The answers to these questions can be revealing. They are windows into our heart and mind. If you have had a 'Play Deprivation' over the past year, you may have experienced some of these side-effects: ANGER, LOSS OF CREATIVITY, NO CONFIDENCE, HEALTH ISSUES, INABILITY TO EXPLORE, and SOCIAL AWKWARDNESS. The role of play can be a vital tool in the face of a culture that is so driven. Too often we miss the beauty of creation around us because we are so task-oriented. Slow down and enjoy life.

Assignment for today. Play. Grab a toy. Don't step on the cracks in the sidewalk. Go by a playground and jump on the swing for a few minutes. And see if some of the tension in life sub-sides.

"But to what shall I liken this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to their friends; 'we played the flute for you and you did not dance...'"
Jesus, Matthew 11

Comments

  1. I have made a commitment to be healthy so that I may better carry out the calling on my life. Not only do I feel better on a daily basis, but I also know that I am accomplishing more. I find I need at least a walk a day and I'm going to start running as soon as I can afford good shoes.

    Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment