A Legendary Speech

I believe the video below will become a legendary video. Over time.


The words we speak have the power to shape our life. Our words can either bring blessing or curses to our life. Have you ever been around someone who is constantly negative or uses curse words and offensive language? I have often wondered what kind of music people listen to, what movies are they watching, and who are the people they are spending their time with to be using such words like they do. What kind of education does it take to be negative and critical, to spread gossip, to be sexually disrespectful, or to use the Lord's name in vain?


The bible records a prayer of David's in Psalm 19:14. David says, "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."


I have read this verse many times, preached on it a few times, and have often thought about the order of this verse. When I read this text I like to interchange the first two phrases. Instead of reading this verse the way it was spoken by David many years ago, I think there is a more practical way to read this verse. Try reading it by using the second phrase first. By saying "Let the meditation of my heart, and the words of my mouth", we can see a real cause and effect that our heart has upon the words we speak.


While reading this verse recently I was thinking of the kind of effect that our heart can have upon our life. And I remembered the words of Tim Tebow, the college quarterback from the University of Florida. Tebow gave a passionate speech after a loss to Ole Miss in 2009. Watch this video and check out my final thoughts below.








"To the fans and everybody in Gator Nation, I'm sorry. I'm extremely sorry," Tebow said. "We were hoping for an undefeated season. That was my goal. Something Florida has never done here."

Tebow went on to say"I promise you one thing. A lot of good will come out of this. You will never see any player in the entire country play as hard as I will play the rest of the season. You will never see someone push the rest of the team as hard as I will push everybody the rest of the season. You will never see a team play harder than we will the rest of the season. God bless."

The words of our mouth are influenced greatly by the dedication of our heart. It was the heart of this young Quarterback that challenged himself and his team with these famous words as he was thinking about the effort that led to a loss to Ole Miss at the beginning of the season.

And, much like you and me, our heart can be the deciding factor in the kind of person we are to become. Our life is probably shaped by our words more than we think.

Finally, you could measure our words by the kind of person we become. And this speech was no different. What happened after these words were spoken by Tim Tebow is the stuff of legend. In the remaining games of the season, after this speech, Tebow threw at least two touchdown passes and the Gators prevailed by double figures in every game en route to capturing their second national title in three seasons. I would say that by the way Tebow responded as the captain of the team, and by the way the football team played, his words were part of what shaped this team to become a national following.

Here are a few practical insights that can influence our speech, and ultimately the kind of people we will become:

  1. SET YOUR HEART on things that are pure and your speech will be pure
  2. CHOOSE THE RIGHT FRIENDS and we choose the right words
  3. LISTEN TO GODLY MUSIC and our words will sound like the message
  4. READING THE BIBLE will assure that our speech reflects our faith


Psalm 19:14. David says, "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." 

I challenge you to check your heart for the kind of influence it has upon your speech, and ultimately, your life.

Comments